1. Admissions through CAT
Applicants for the following programmes are required to take the CAT, except where specifically indicated otherwise.
1.1 FIRST DEGREE PROGRAMMES
a. BTech in Civil Engg**, Computer Science and Engg**, Electrical and Electronics Engg**, Electronics and Communication Engg**, Information Technology**, Mechanical Engg**, Safety and Fire Engg**.
b. BTech in Polymer Science and Engineering
c. Five Year Integrated MSc in Photonics
Educational Qualification for a, b & c above: Pass in Plus Two Examination of the State of Kerala with Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry as optional subjects or any other examination accepted as equivalent thereto securing a minimum of 50% marks in Mathematics and 50% marks in Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry put together.
d. BTech in Instrumentation Technology
Pass in Plus Two examination of the State of Kerala with Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry as optional subjects or any other examination accepted as equivalent thereto securing a minimum of 60% marks in Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry put together, with at least 55% in Mathematics separately.
e. BTech in Marine Engg (Residential Programme)
à Pass in Plus Two or equivalent examination with Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and English as separate subjects with a PCM average of not less than 60% marks & minimum 50% for Mathematics and should have obtained 50% marks in English at 10th or 12th standards. This is applicable to the SC/ST candidates also.
à Vocational/Diploma students are not eligible to apply.
à The Maximum age limit prescribed is 25 years as on 1st September of the year of admission.
à Eligibility for admission will be based on directions from the DG Shipping (Govt of India)
f. BTech in Naval Architecture & Ship Building.
Pass in Plus Two examination of the State of Kerala or any other examination accepted as equivalent thereto with a First Class securing a minimum of 50% marks in Mathematics as well as for Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry put together.
g. 5 Year BBA LLB (Hons) (Cost sharing course)
à Pass in Plus Two examination with 60% marks in Science / Commerce group or 55% marks in Arts / Humanities.
à Should not have completed 20 years of age on July 1st of the year of admission. 22 years in the case of SC/ST and OBC candidates. SC/ST candidates are eligible for admission, if they have pass marks in qualifying examination except for Marine Engineering
1.2 POST GRADUATE PROGRAMMES
Bachelor’s degree in Law with at least 45% marks.
MA Hindi Language and Literature
BA / BSc degree with Hindi as a subject of study with at least 45% marks in Hindi.
MBA (Full-time / Part-time*)
Bachelor’s degree in any subject with a minimum of 50% marks in aggregate. * (conditions apply)
MBA (Travel and Tourism )
Bachelor’s degree in any subject with a minimum of 50% marks in aggregate
MBA (International Business)
Bachelor’s degree in any subject with a minimum of 50% marks in aggregate.
MA Applied Economics
Bachelor’s degree in Economics with 55% in Part III (Economics and Subsidiaries) or 60% with BCom, BBA, BBM with Economics as one of the subject or BSc Mathematics or Statistics with 65% marks.
MCA*** offered by CUSAT and its recognized Institutions.
Any graduate with Mathematics as one of the main or subsidiary subjects or graduate in Electronics/Computer Science/Computer Applications/Engg./Technology with aggregate 55% marks in all subjects other than Languages and Humanities.
(***Regular and Cost Sharing)
MSc Applied Chemistry
BSc degree with Chemistry/Polymer Chemistry/Environmental Chemistry/Industrial Chemistry/ Petrochemicals as main, with Mathematics as one of the subsidiary subjects with at least 55% marks in the main subject.
Bachelor’s degree in any branch of Life Sciences including Agricultural and Medical Science or Chemical
Science or Chemical Engineering with a minimum of 55% marks in aggregate.
MSc Electronic Science (With specialisation in Artificial Intelligence, Robotics Microwave Electronics and
Computer Technology) First class BSc degree with not less than 60% aggregate marks in Electronics or Physics).
MSc Environmental Technology
Stream I - Env Engineering - Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry with Physics and Mathematics as subsidiaries, or Engineering (Civil/Public Health/Environmental or Chemical) with 55% Marks.
Stream II - Env. Biotech –Bachelor’s degree in Life Sciences/ Environmental Sciences/ Zoology/ Botany/ Microbiology with 55% marks.
BSc degree in Chemistry with Physics and Mathematics as subsidiaries or BSc degree of any University in Kerala with Polymer Chemistry/Industrial Chemistry/Petrochemicals/Environment & Water Management as the main subject and Mathematics and Physics/Computer Science, as subsidiaries with 55% marks in the respective main subject.
MSc Industrial Fisheries
Bachelor’s degree in Zoology/Botany/Fisheries with at least 55% marks in the optional subjects. Bachelor’s degree in Fisheries includes bachelor’s degree in Industrial Fisheries, Aquaculture/Fishery Science/Industrial Fish and Fisheries/BFSC in Nautical science.
MSc Marine Biology
BSc degree with any branch of Life Sciences such as Aquaculture, Bio-chemistry, Biotechnology, Botany, Microbiology and Zoology as a main subject or B.Sc. degree in Fishery Science with at least 55% marks in the optional subjects.
MSc Marine Geology
BSc degree in Geology / Maths / Physics / Chemistry with 55% aggregate marks in optionals
MSc Marine Geophysics
BSc degree with at least 55% aggregate marks in (a) Geology (main) with Mathematics and Physics or Chemistry as subsidiaries (b) Physics (main) with Mathematics and Geology or Chemistry or Electronics as subsidiaries (c) Mathematics (main) with Physics and Geology or Chemistry as subsidiaries.
BSc degree with Mathematics main, with at least 55% marks for optional subjects taken together.
BSc degree with Physics/Mathematics as the main subject with 55% marks. Those with Mathematics as the main subject should have studied Physics as one of the subsidiary subjects and vice-versa.
BSc degree with Physics/Mathematics as the main subject with 55% marks. Those with Mathematics as the main subject should have studied Physics as one of the subsidiary subjects and vice-versa.
BSc degree with Physics main and Mathematics as subsidiary with at least 55% marks in Physics.
BSc degree in Mathematics or Statistics with at least 55% marks for optional subjects taken together.
SC/ST candidates are eligible for admission, if they have pass marks in qualifying examination
2. MTech Programmes
Admissions to the following MTech programmes are based on valid GATE score as prescribed under the academic regulations specific to each programme. Candidates not possessing GATE may also apply, but will be considered only if GATE qualified candidates are not available. In such cases, admissions will be based on the DAT.
MTech Atmospheric Science
1. MSc degree or its equivalent in Meteorology, Oceanography, Mathematics, Physics, and Space Physics with a First Class (60%) marks from any recognized University or Institution. 2. A valid GATE score or a pass in the Joint UGC CSIR Test (NET) for JRF.
MTech Computer Aided Structural Analysis and Design
1. BTech or Equivalent degree in Naval Architecture and Ship building/Civil Engg./Mechanical Engg with a first class (60%) marks from any recognized University or Institution 2. A valid GATE score.
MTech Computer and Information Science
1. BTech or equivalent degree in any discipline/AMIETE/AMIE or MSc in Physics with Electronics as special subject, or MSc in Mathematics with a first class (60%) marks from any recognized University or Institution. 2. A valid GATE score.
MTech Electronics (With specialization in Digital Electronics, Microwave and Radar Electronics)
1. BTech or equivalent degree/AMIE/AMIETE in Electronics and Communication Engg / Electrical Engg./Electronics and Instrumentation or MSc degree in Electronics/Physics (with Electronics as specialization) with a first class (60%) marks from any recognized University or Institution. 2. A valid GATE score in Electronics/Electronics and Communication Engineering. 3. If sufficient number of candidates are not available in Category 2, candidates with GATE score in Instrumentation, Electrical and Electronics Engg, Electrical Engg, or Physics will be considered.
MTech Engineering Statistics
1. BTech or equivalent degree or AMIE in any discipline with first class (60%) from any recognized
University or Institution with valid GATE score.
MTech Industrial Catalysis
1. MSc degree in Chemistry/Applied Chemistry or any other degree recognized as equivalent with at least a first class (60%) marks from any recognized University or Institution with valid GATE Score.
MTech Marine Biotechnology
Minimum 60% Marks or equivalent CGPA in any one of the following from any recognized Indian or Foreign University.
1. BTech / BE in Chemical Engineering, Biochemical Engineering, Industrial Biotechnology, Leather
Biotechnology, Chemistry/Biotechnology, Biomedical Engineering, BPharma, Chemical Technology;
2. MSc in Biotechnology, Marine Biotechnology, Life Sciences, Botany/ Zoology/Biochemistry, Microbiology/Genetics, Biophysics, Microbial Genetics and Bioinformatics, Marine Biology/Aquatic Biology and Fisheries/Environmental Biotechnology/Mariculture. Selection of candidates is done by JNU on behalf of Department of Biotechnology, Government of India.
MTech Ocean Technology
1. MSc degree in Oceanography/Physics/Marine Geology/Meteorology/Marine Geophysics/Environmental Sciences or MSc (Tech) degree in Marine Geophysics or BTech or equivalent degree /AMIE in Civil Engg / Environmental Sciences with 60% marks from any recognized University or Institution. 2. A valid GATE score in any of the subjects mentioned above as the second paper.
MTech Opto-Electronics and Laser Technology
1. Masters degree in Physics / Electronics / Photonics / BTech or BE Degree in Electronics and Communication Engg / Electronics Engg / Electrical Engg / Electrical and Electronics Engg with a First Class
(60%) from any recognized University or Institution 2. A valid GATE score in the concerned branch of study.
MTech Polymer Technology
1. BTech or equivalent degree/AMIE in Polymer Science and Rubber Technology/Chemical Engg /Technology or MSc Polymer Chemistry/MSc Chemistry with Polymer Chemistry as specialization with a first class (60%) marks from any recognized University or Institution. 2. A valid GATE score.
MTech Software Engineering
1. BTech or equivalent degree or AMIE/AMIETE in Computer Science/Information Technology or MSc in Computer Software/Operations Research and Computer Applications or MCA with a first class (60%) marks from any recognized University or Institution. 2. A valid GATE score.
SC/ST candidates are eligible for admission to the courses mentioned under 2 above if 1) they have pass mark in the qualifying examination 2) a valid gate score 3) in the absence of GATE qualified candidates candidate not possessing GATE will be considered.
3. Admissions Through DAT
Applicants for the following programmes are required to take the DAT:
3.1 POST GRADUATE PROGRAMME
MA Translation (German/Russian)
Bachelor’s degree of any recognized University and Diploma level knowledge in the language concerned.
3.2 DIPLOMA /CERTIFICATE PROGRAMMES (PART-TIME)
a. Certificate courses in French/German/Japanese/Russian.
Educational Qualification: Pass in plus two or equivalent or ITI certificate. Previous knowledge of the language is not essential.
b. Integrated Diploma in French/German/Italian/Japanese/ Russian
Educational Qualification: Pass in Plus-two or equivalent. Previous knowledge in the language concerned is not essential.
c. Diploma in French/German/Japanese/ Russian
Pass in Plus-two or equivalent and certificate level knowledge in the language concerned.
d. PG Diploma in Communicative English
Bachelor’s Degree in any discipline or any other examination recognized as equivalent thereto with English as one of the subjects of study from a University.
e. PG Diploma in Translation and Functional Hindi
Bachelor’s degree with Hindi as one of the subjects
3.3 MPhil PROGRAMMES (FULL-TIME)
MPhil Chemistry, Commerce, Hindi, Physics and Mathematics.
Master’s degree in the concerned subject with at least 50% marks.
MPhil Applied Economics
Master’s degree in Economics with at least 50% aggregate marks.
MPhil Marine Chemistry
Master’s degree in Chemistry or Hydrochemistry with 50% marks.
MPhil Fisheries Science
MSc Degree Industrial Fisheries / Marine Biology/Zoology/Aquatic Biology & Fisheries/Fishery Biology & Aquaculture/Capture and Culture Fisheries/Aquaculutre/MFSc with 50% marks in aggregate or an equivalent grade in PG.
MPhil Life Sciences
Master’s degree in Marine Biology/Zoology/ any branch of Life sciences such as Aquatic Biology and
Fisheries, Bio Chemistry, Biotechnology, Botany, Fishery science with 60% marks.
3.4 PhD PROGRAMMES
PhD programmes are offered in all the teaching Departments/Schools and recognized Institutions of the University. Candidates are advised to ascertain the areas of research and the availability of vacancies from the Departments/Schools or Recognized Institutions before-hand. Candidates intending to do research in he Recognized Institutions of the University are to obtain application forms from the University Departments/Schools dealing with the discipline of their choice.
3.5 UNIVERSITY DEPARTMENTS/SCHOOLS WHERE PhD/MPhil
PROGRAMMES ARE OFFERED:
The University Departments/Schools located at the Thrikkakara Campus, Kochi-682022 are Applied Chemistry, Applied Economics, Biotechnology, Computer Applications, Computer Science, Culture & Heritage, Electronics, Environmental Studies, Hindi, Instrumentation, Legal Studies, Mathematics, Management Studies, Photonics, Physics, Polymer Science & Rubber Technology, School of Engg., Ship Technology and Statistics.
The University Departments/Schools located at the Lake Side Campus at Fine Arts Avenue, Kochi-682 016 are Atmospheric Sciences, Chemical Oceanography, Industrial Fisheries, Marine Biology, Microbiology & Biochemistry, Marine Geology & Geophysics and Physical Oceanography.
4. Lateral Entry (LET) to BTech
BTech in Civil Engg, Computer Science and Engg, Electrical and Electronics Engg, Electronics and Communication Engg, Information Technology, Instrumentation Technology, Mechanical Engg, Polymer Science & Engineering and Safety & Fire Engg. Diploma recognized by the Board of Technical Education of the States after undergoing a regular course of 3 years duration with not less than 60% marks.
The maximum age prescribed is 25 years.
Following shall be the feeder courses for Lateral Entry to BTech programmes.
Specialization in Diploma Courses
Civil Engineering / Architecture Engineering
Computer Science and Engineering /
Computer Science & Engineering /Electrical & Electronics Engg./ Electronics Engg./ Computer Technology/Computer Engg./Medical Engg./ Computer Hardware Maintenance/ Telecommunication Technology/ Applied Electronics/Electronics & Production Technolog
Computer Science & Engg./Electrical & Electronics Engg./ Electronics Engg./ / Computer Technology/Computer Engg./Medical Engg./Computer Hardware Maintenance/ Telecommunication Technology/ Applied Electronics/Electronics & Production Technolog/Information Technology
Electrical & Electronics
Electrical Engg/Electrical & Electronics Engg/Electronics Engg/Applied Electronics/Electronics and Production Technology/Computer Hardware Maintenance/Instrumentation/Telecommunication Technology
Mechanical Engg./Production Engg./Plastics & Mould Technology/Automobile Engg./Tool and Dye making
Safety & Fire Engg
Polymer Science and Engineering
Polymer Technology or Chemical Engineering
5. FOREIGN NATIONAL STUDENTS
1. International students are exempted from the requirement of admission test (CAT/DAT) for the academic programmes of the University. They can apply either on self financing basis or through the Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR) attached to the Ministry of Human Resources Development of the Govt. of India. They are required to submit the application through online for the academic programme of the University on payment of US$ 100 by way of Demand Draft / Pay order/Any other instrument (which does not involve collection charges on the part of the University) in favour of Registrar, CUSAT payable at New York.
2. Applicants who have successfully Registered online with CUSAT may forward an advance copy of the confirmation page along with payment of registration fee (D.D/Pay Order) and relevant documents to the following address. The original confirmation page should be forwarded with necessary documents through the Embassy of India in the respective country.
International Relations and Academic Admissions
Cochin University of Science and Technology
Kochi-682 022, Kerala, India.
For further Details visit: www.cusat.nic.in
6. IMPORTANT POINTS AT A GLANCE
6.1. Only Online applications will be considered for all BTech Programmes including Lateral Entry Programmes, 5 year Integrated MSc in Photonics, 5 year BBA LLB (Hons), Post Graduate Programmes, and MTech Programmes
6.2. For MPhil, MA Translation in German and Russian, PhD, Diploma and Certificate programmes, applications can be had from the concerned Departments/Schools/Centres either directly or by post.
6.3. Fee Details:
Mode of payment: For Online registration (6.1) – Chalan to be downloaded and the payment should be made only through the bank of SBI or SBT and others (6.2) by way Demand Draft (DD) in favour of Registrar, CUSAT payable at Ernakulam
Rs 850/- for General Category Candidates and Rs 375/- for SC/ST Category
Rs 5850/- for candidates who apply under NRI Quota
Diploma and Certificate Programmes – Rs 100/- for general category and Rs 50/- for SC/ST category.
DDs issued by SBT or SBI should only be accepted. Candidates should write his/her name and Application No. on upper left hand corner of the reverse side of the DD. The DD should be taken on or after the date of CAT 2010 Notification. DD taken after the last date fixed for the submission of application will not be accepted.
7. ALLOCATION OF SEATS
Of the total seats for BTech (Self-Financing) programmes 50% are free seats, 40% are payment seats and 10% are NRI payment seats. The free seats are earmarked for Keralite students. For BTech in Naval Architecture & Ship Building, Instrumentation and Polymer Science and Engineering 10% of the seats are reserved for students on all India basis (All India Quota) and the remaining seats for Keralites. For all regular Post-Graduate Programmes including subsidized Post-Graduate programmes like MCA, MBA (International Business), MBA (Travel & Tourism) and 5 year Integrated MSc in Photonics programme 10% of the seats are set apart for students on all India basis (All India Quota) and the remaining for Keralites. For Post-Graduate programmes under Self-Financing sector 50% of the seats are given for Keralites, 10% for NRI’s and the remaining 40% open to all.
A candidate will be considered as a ‘Keralite for the limited purpose of eligibility for admission, if
a) He/She or his/her father/mother was born in Kerala OR
b) He/She has been a resident of Kerala for a period of 5 years within a period of 12 years OR
c) He/She has undergone his/her school studies from standards VIII to XII in educational institution(s) in Kerala OR
d) Children of All India Service (AIS) Officers (Non Keralites) allotted to Kerala circle are deemed to be “Keralites” [GO (Rt) No.822/H.Edn dated 29.05.2008]. But they will not be eligible for Communal/Special Reservations.
Rules for communal reservation framed by the Government of Kerala and implemented in the University from time to time will be applicable to the various academic programmes. Besides communal reservation, specified number of seats are set apart under Special Reservation. For details see prospectus in website www.cusat.nic.in.
8. GENERAL INFORMATION
1. MTech Marine Bio-Technology: Selection of candidates is done by Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) on behalf of Department of Biotechnology, Government of India through a National Test along with all such examinations conducted by the University (JNU). GATE Score is not considered for admission. For details visit www.jnu.ac.in and www.ncaah.org.
2. Application forms for programmes listed under 3.1 and 3.2 are available from the departments / schools as indicated below.
3.1 and 3.2a to 3.2d: The Head, Department of Culture & Heritage, CUSAT, KOCHI - 22
3.2e: The Head, Department of Hindi, CUSAT, KOCHI – 22
3. Application forms for programmes listed under 3.3 and 3.4 are available only from the respective Departments.
4. Candidates applying for both BTech Programmes and Lateral Entry Programmes through online should remit the required fees specified for each programme.
5. Entry requirements for each Programme are given under ‘Eligibility Criteria’. The responsibility for ensuring satisfactory compliance to the prescribed criteria is vested solely with the applicant. Claims found untenable upon subsequent scrutiny shall result in summary disqualification of the applicant concerned and cancellation of any or all admission processes undergone.
6. The choice of the Test Subject/Test Centre/Course Code is the sole responsibility of the applicant and the selection once exercised in the online registration shall be final and irrevocable.
7. The Distribution of Seats for various courses will be governed by the Rules/Regulations of the University in force. For details visit University website.
8. SC/ST candidates are eligible for admission, if they have pass marks in qualifying examination except for Marine Engineering.