In memory of Bhartendu Harishchandra, father of Modern Hindi Drama, Department of Culture, Government of Uttar Pradesh established Bhartendu Natya Kendra in August, 1975 aiming to impart professional training in various aspects of theatre. Systematic training in dramatic arts commenced on 5th April, 1976. Two Year Diploma Course started in 1981 along with institute being renamed as Bhartendu Natya Academy of Dramatic Arts (BADA) popularly known as BNA. Financed by Department of Culture, Government of Uttar Pradesh. Academy is an Autonomous Body.
Core objective of Academy is to impart profound training in theatre. During two year PG Diploma course at the Academy, an intensive training is imparted in Indian and Western theatre/drama emphasizing on Acting: movement, voice and speech, mime, improvisation, stage-craft: theatre architecture, scenic and set design, costume and make-up designing, light designing, direction and production process. Eminent theatre personalities of national and international repute are invited as visiting faculty in addition to regular faculty of the Academy.
1. Candidates between age group of 20 to 30 years, as on 1st July are eligible for admission in special cases, relaxation upto five years can be granted by the Director of the Academy.
2. The Candidate should be graduate from a recognized university and have good command over English and Hindi languages. Two years working experience in theatre with detailed study of at least ten Indian or Western plays along with acting in ten plays, direction of two plays and back stage work in five productions is also required.
1. Selection will be based on written test, interview and audition to be held at lucknow. Academy will not be liable to make any payment for travelling or other incidental expenses incurred by the candidate.
2. Candidates have to make their own arrangements for boarding and lodging during written test, interview and audition. Only selected candidates will be informed by post.
1. Two seats are reserved for SC/ST candidates. Preference will be given to SC/ST candidates whose family members are involved in performing arts. If SC/ST candidates against reserved seats are not available, suitable candidates out of general category will be selected.
2. Age relaxation upto five years will be granted to SC/ST candidates.
Medium: Hindi and English
1. Application forms will be accepted only in the prescribed format.
2. Forms along with syllabus can be obtained personally or by post from office of the Director, Bhartendu Natya Academy, BHARTENDU BHAWAN, Vikas Khand-1, Gomti Nagar, Lucknow-226010 by paying a sum of Rs. 500.00 (Rupees Five Hundred Only) in cash or by money order/bank draft drawn in favour of Director, Bhartendu Natya Academy payable at Lucknow.
3. The application form can also be down loaded from Academy's website. If applied on line, a hard copy of the completed application form along with money order/bank draft, valuing Rs. 500.00 (Rupees Five Hundred Only) should be send at the aforesaid address.
4. Every year in April/May notification for admission in made through leading National English/Hindi newspapers.
5. The attested copies of certificated in support of the educational qualifications, SC/ST certificate and experiences etc. and two passport size photographs should be also attached with the application form. Documents once submitted will not be returned.
Session Starts from: 15th November, 2021
Last Date of submitting the duly filled application form is: 16th October, 2021
Entrance exam and Audition will be conducted on: 26th and 27th October, 2021 from 9.00 am and practical/interview (workshop) will be conducted on 28th and 29th October, 2021