Institute of Physics, Bhubaneswar is an autonomous research institution funded jointly by the Department of Atomic Energy (DAE) and the Government of Odisha. The Institute was officially established in 1972 by the Government of Orissa, and registered in 1972 as a registered society under societies Registration Act 1860. The Institute started functioning under the directorship of Prof. T. Pradhan on September 4, 1974 in two rented rooms of the Utkal University Guest House. After a few months, the Institute moved to a rented house in Sahid Nagar, Bhubaneswar, where its academic activities got started in January 1975 with two Faculties besides the then Director, Prof. T. Pradhan. From 1974 to 1981, the Institute functioned in rented buildings and moved to its present campus in 1981. On March 25,1985, the Institute was taken over by the Department of Atomic Energy (DAE).
The management of affairs of the Institute is vested in a Governing Council consisting of an eminent Scientist nominated as its Chairman, the Director of the Institute and members nominated by the Department of Atomic Energy (DAE) and the Government of Odisha. The Registrar of the Institute functions as its Secretary. The Institute receives major part of its financial support from the Department of Atomic Energy, Government of India, and a token of support from the Government of Orissa. The Institute also receives funds from other government agencies (like CSIR and U.G.C) to finance specific research projects.
The Institute invites application for its regular Doctoral Programme starting from August, 2021. Indian nationals satisfying the following criteria are eligible to apply:
1. A valid CSIR-JRF / UGC-JRF fellowship
A valid GATE score with rank up to 200
JEST - 2021 rank up to 250 (for Ph. D only)
2. M.Sc. in Physics with a minimum of 55% marks (in aggregate) or equivalent cumulative CGPA. (Candidates who appeared for M.Sc. in 2021, and who satisfy the criteria mentioned above can apply. However, if selected, their admission will be provisional subject to satisfying the minimal criteria and submission of the M.Sc. certificate.)
(Candidates are required to upload the supporting documents regarding GATE/ JRF/JEST and produce the same in original at the time of admission.)
Selection Procedure and Stages: The selection will be based on an online interview. However, depending on the COVID-19 situation, the dates and/or the selection process may be modified.
1. After admission the selected candidates have to undergo one year of course work. After successful completion of the coursework they will work under the supervision of faculty members of the institute for the Ph.D. degree which will be awarded by the Homi Bhabha National Institute (HBNI), Mumbai. Selected candidates# will receive a monthly fellowship at par with other research institutes of the DAE, an annual contingency grant and have access to on-campus accommodation, medical facilities etc. at nominal charges.
# For those selected candidates who have appeared for their M.Sc. final examination in this year (2021), the admission will be provisional in case they cannot produce the M.Sc. degree certificate. The admission will be confirmed and the fellowship will start after submission of the certificate and marksheets with minimum of 55% marks. Selected candidates, at the time of joining, have to produce B.Sc., M.Sc. marksheets and certificates besides JEST/GATE/NET scorecard in original. In addition, document indicating date of birth needs to be produced.
2. Last date of online application is 5th December, 2021.
3. Tentative dates of selection are 13th - 17th December, 2021. The selection will be based on an online interview. However, depending on the COVID-19 situation, the dates and/or the selection process may be modified.
4. Online application does not entitle the applicant to be considered for the Selection process. If the number of applications is more than what can be processed, additional cut-off criteria may be used for further shortlisting.
5. Candidates are encouraged to give their preference for Theory or Experimental Physics towards getting interviewed by a suitable committee.
Address for correspondence
Institute of Physics
Sachivalaya Marg, P.O. Sainik School, Bhubaneswar - 751 005
For any queries, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Last Date for receiving online application: 5th December, 2021
Tentative window for the selection is: 13th -17th December, 2021
Please click the following link for other valuable news available on our Blog: - blog.admissionnews.com ~~!!~~ My Admission News Blog ~~!!~~ Admission News BlogSpot ~~!!~~ Scholarship BlogSpot