Pondicherry Dental College was established in the year 1990 in a building with only 2 rooms. It was subsequently renamed as
The Institution has chosen the Motto “knowledge is power” emphasizing that knowledge is the most essential thing to empower a person. Since the inception, 17 batches of students have graduated from this Institution and 10 batches have completed post-graduation (M.D.S). The degrees (BDS and MDS) are recognized by the Dental Council of India, and Ministry of Health Family Welfare, Government of India and thisInstitute is permanently affiliated to the
This Institute is an autonomous body under the Govt. of Puducherry, administered by a constituted Board of Governors, headed by the Hon’ble Chief Minister, Puducherry, as Chairman and the Chief Secretary to Govt. of Puducherry, as Vice-Chairperson. Within a short period, the Institute has attained the peak with due recognition from all over
The sanctioned intake for the under graduate (BDS) course is 40 seats under the following categories.
1. Puducherry Domicile – 29
2. Non-Resident Indians / NRI Sponsored / Foreign students – 5
The selection of the candidates under the Puducherry domicile category is made purely on merit basis by the Centralized Admissions Committee (CENTAC), Govt. of Puducherry based on the marks arrived at by adopting the ‘method of normalization’. The seats allotted under the All India Quota are filled in by the candidates sponsored by the Director General of Health Services (DGHS), Govt. of India through the Entrance Examination conducted on All India basis. The admission under the NRI/NRI sponsored / foreign students are made on merit basis adopting the ‘method of normalization’. The duration of the BDS course is five (5) academic years without Internship. The BDS degree is awarded by the
Candidates for admission to the BDS degree course should have a pass in the Higher Secondary examination (Academic) conducted by the Board of Higher Secondary Examination of any State Board i.e. 12th standard or any other equivalent examination thereto as recognized by the Pondicherry Central University, candidate for admission to BDS course must have passed in the subjects of Physics, Chemistry, Biology & English individually and must have obtained a minimum of 50% marks taken together in hysics, Chemistry and Biology at the qualifying examination. In respect of candidates belonging to Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes or Other backward Classes, the marks obtained in Physics, Chemistry and Biology taken together in qualifying examination be 40% instead of 50% as above and must have qualifying marks in English.
The following certificates shall be submitted along with the application for admission.
(i) Birth Certificates/SSLC Marklist/ Proof of Date of Birth
(ii) Higher Secondary Marklist / XII Marklist.
(iii) Transfer Certificate issued by the Institution last studied
(iv) Foreign students should hold / produce valid visa obtained from the concerned Indian Mission abroad.
(v) Caste certificate from the Competent authority obtained
ADMISSION PROCEDURE: Basic Requirements for Admission:-
1. Five seats (5) of the BDS Course at Mahatma Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Dental Sciences (MGPGI) are permitted to be filled in by Non-Resident Indians / NRI sponsored / foreign students for the academic year 2017-18.
2. Admissions under the above mentioned category are made to the I year BDS course based on the marks obtained by the student in HSC Biology / Botany & Zoology, Physics and Chemistry including practicals. When more than one candidate have got the same marks in the common merit list (i.e. the merit list prepared after merging the normalized marks of candidates from various Boards), the ‘inter-se merit’ among such candidates, for each course shall be determined “in the order of priority” as specified below :-
(i) Percentage of actual marks in Biology / Botany & Zoology.
(ii) Percentage of actual marks in Physics.
(iii) Percentage of actual marks in Chemistry
(iv) Total normalized marks’ of all eligible subjects prescribed for the course.
(v) Date of Birth.
(vi) Random number assigned.
3. The fee of the application form is Rs. 2000/- or equivalent in US Dollars by Demand Draft only.
4. All payments shall be made by crossed Demand Draft only, drawn in favour of DIRECTOR, MAHATMA GANDHI POSTGRADAUTE INSTITUTE OF DENTAL SCIENCES, PUDUCHERRY PAYABLE AT STATE BANK OF
5. The admission fee shall be US $ 18,000.00 and amount should be paid in US $ only. Besides, the admission fee, annual tuition fee of Rs.1.00 lakh (Rupees one lakh only) is payable every year. The admission Fee as well as annual tuition fee should be paid immediately when the candidate is selected for admission.
Last date for Submission form: 30th June 2017
Candidates who are completing their Internship not later than are eligible to apply. Candidates seeking admission under Puducherry Domiciles Category should be an Indian National and a domicile/resident of Puducherry.
PGDEE-2017: Candidates seeking admission to I MDS Course for the academic year 2017-18 should appear in the Postgraduate Dental Entrance Examination (PGDEE – 2017). The Postgraduate Dental Entrance Examination shall be held at MAHATMA GANDHI POSTGRADUATE INSTITUTE OF DENTAL SCIENCES, PONDICHERRY-605 006. (Only One Centre)
Admission Procedure: Admission to I MDS Course is based on the marks obtained in the PGDEE-2017 and subject to further orders, if any, passed by appropriate authorities / Hon’ble Supreme Court of
Application fee for PGDEE - 2017
1. For Puducherry Domiciles:
A) General/MBC/OBC Category: Rs. 2000/-
B) SC Category: Rs. 600/-
2. For NRI/NRI Sponsored/Foreign students: Rs. 4000/- (in Indian rupees) or equivalent in US dollars
The candidates can apply in the application form downloadable at http://mgpgi.puducherry.gov.in together with the prescribed fee by a crossed Demand Draft only drawn in favour of the DEAN, MAHATMA GANDHI POSTGRADUATE INSTITUTE OF DENTAL SCIENCES, payable at
For detailed information, please refer the Information Bulletin.
The application form duly filled in with all enclosures (Attested copies of certificates etc.) should be sent in a sealed cover superscribed as “Application for admission to PGDEE-2017” addressed to the DEAN, MAHATMA GANDHI POSTGRADUATE INSTITUTE OF DENTAL SCIENCES, Gorimedu, PONDICHERRY– 605 006 either in person or by Registered Post.
Applications which are incomplete, defective/without prescribed fee or received after the due date and time shall be rejected summarily and no correspondence will be entertained in this regard. This Institution shall not be responsible for any postal delay or loss in transit.