The Indian Institute of Technology Bombay was established in 1958 for providing leadership in education and research with a focus on science and technology. Over a period of more than decades, about 60,000 students have graduated from the Institution with Bachelors, Masters and PhD degrees. IIT Bombay today is leading institution globally for education in engineering, management, pure sciences and social sciences.
The institute is committed to creating an ambience for nurturing innovation, creativity and excellence in our students. We strongly support interdisciplinary research and development for the benefit of Industry and Society. Shailesh J. Mehta School of Management is an essential component of this strategy.
SJMSOM was established in 1995 to provide leadership in the area of management education with an emphasis on developing all round managerial skills. We are proud to say that the School is ideally placed to exploit the synergies with the engineering and science departments at IIT Bombay. In doing so, we believe the School will continue to create unique and novel programmes to make significant contributions to management as a domain.
Applicant must satisfy one of the following criteria:
1. A four year Bachelor’s degree or a Master’s degree in any discipline with first-class or 60% marks (55% in case of candidates belonging to SC/ST category) in aggregate (including all years/semesters) or a minimum CPI of 6.5 (6 in case of candidates belonging to SC/ST category) out of 10 , from the universities incorporated by an act of the central or state legislature in India or other educational institutions established by an act of Parliament or declared to be deemed as a University under Section 3 of the UGC Act, 1956, or possess an equivalent qualification recognized by the Ministry of HRD, Government of India.
2. CA, CS, CFA, ICWA, or FRM, with a first-class Bachelor’s Degree in any discipline having secured 60% marks (55% in case of candidates belonging to SC/ST category) in aggregate (including all years/semesters) or a minimum CPI of 6.5 (6 in case of candidates belonging to SC/ST category) out of 10.
*(CA (Chartered Accountancy), CS (Company Secretary), CFA (Chartered Financial Analyst), ICWA (Cost and Works Accountancy) & FRM (Financial Risk Manager))
3. Those appearing for the final degree examination can also apply. The admission in such cases will be subject to their fulfilling the minimum eligibility criteria as stated in (1) or (2) at the time of joining the course.
After the CAT 2020 results are declared, the applicants are required to complete the online application form available (6th January 2021). The last date for filling the form is 31st January 2021. Candidate will have to scan and upload the following documents (as per size and dimensions specified) along with the application form:
1. Passport size photograph ( jpg/jpeg/png Only with size <=40KB )
2. Signature ( jpg/jpeg/png Only with size <=10KB )
3. Graduation Certificate / Copy of latest semester marksheet (for students appearing for the final semester or yet to receive Graduation Certificate) ( PDF Only with size <=500KB )
4. CASTE certificate (If applicable) ( PDF Only with size <=500KB )
5. Physically disabled certificate for applicants with disability. ( PDF Only with size <=500KB )
6. CAT 2020 scorecard ( PDF Only with size <=500KB )
The shortlisted candidates will be invited to appear for Personal Interview (PI) between 3rd to 7th March 2021 (Tentative).
1. The candidates should fill all the mandatory details in one go, otherwise the data will be lost as the session expires in 50 minutes. It is suggested that the candidates be fully prepared with all the relevant information/data before starting to fill the ONLINE Application form.
2. The data can be edited anytime before the final submission of the form
3. You may download the online application format through the website for your reference. Compile all the relevant data required to fill it up, and then proceed to fill up and submit it your online application.
4. Use the latest versions of Chrome or Firefox to fill-up the form.
Eligibility Criterion for Admission:
A. 5) ELIGIBILITY CRITERION FOR PH.D. ADMISSION
A.5.1) General eligibility criterion for Admission in all academic units: Departments, Centres, Schools and Interdisciplinary Groups:
1. Master’s or equivalent degree in Engineering/Technology
2. Bachelor’s degree in Engineering/Technology
3. Master’s or equivalent degree in science
4. Master's or equivalent degree in Arts/Commerce (or allied subjects)
For qualifying degree listed under (2), (3) & (4), candidates must also fulfil ONE of the following additional requirements:
· Valid GATE/CEED/ score
· Selected through National Eligibility Test – UGC NET including lectureship (Assistant Professorship)
· Selected through a National level examination conducted by MHRD or its agencies/Institutions such as UGC/IIT/IISc./IISER/IIIT etc.
· Minimum of TWO years of professional experience (acquired after obtaining the qualifying degree and completed before the starting of the semester in which admission is sought)
Marks / CGPA / CPI requirement in Qualifying Degrees (listed above):
For GN/EWS/OBC (NC) category
(a) a minimum of 60% marks in aggregate, OR
(b) a First Class as specified by the University, OR
(c) a minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) / Cumulative Performance Index (CPI) of 6.0 on the scale of 0-10, OR
(d) an equivalent to 6.0 on other corresponding proportional requirements when the scales are other than 0-10.
(e)For master's or equivalent degree in Arts/Commerce (or allied subjects, a minimum of 55% marks will be considered for admission to the Ph.D. programmes offered ONLY by Industrial Design Centre and Department of Humanities & Social Sciences.
For SC/ST/PwD category
(f) a minimum of 55% marks in aggregate, OR
(g) a First Class as specified by the University, OR
(h) a minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) / Cumulative Performance Index (CPI) of 5.5 on the scale of 0-10, OR
(i) an equivalent to 5.6 on other corresponding proportional requirements when the scales are other than 0-10.
(j) For master's or equivalent degree in Arts/Commerce (or allied \subjects, a minimum of 50% marks will be considered for admission to the Ph.D. programmes offered ONLY by Industrial Design Centre and Department of Humanities & Social Sciences.
Admission is offered on the basis of an interview held usually a month before the commencement of the semester for which admission is sought. The interview may be supplemented by a written test, if necessary. Merely satisfying the general eligibility criterion as well as criterion set for each admission category is no guarantee for being called for test/interview. Depending on the number of applications received and considering the constraints of time and other resources for conducting Written Test and Interview, the Academic Units may put additional academic performance based shortlisting criterion. Candidates called for the written Test/Interview under Teaching Assistantship (TA) category, only candidates belonging to SC/ST and PwD categories will be paid single second class return railway fare by the shortest route (as per rules) from their place of residence to the Institute. They have to produce evidence (Original/Photocopy of Railway Ticket) in support of their claim. A candidate called for more than on discipline, can submit only one claim.
PAYMENT OF FEES AND DEPOSITS
Various fees and deposits for the programme are given in Appendix C.1. on the website.
REGISTRATION FOR THE PH.D. DEGREE
After a candidate has been admitted to the Institute, he/she has to make an application on a prescribed form for registration for the Ph.D. degree. This application will be considered by the Departmental Postgraduate Committee (DPGC) which will make appropriate recommendations to the Senate regarding (a) the course work prescribed for the candidate and (b) the date of registration.
The period of validity of Ph.D. registration for all candidates is FIVE/SIX years from the date of confirmation of registration (Registration is confirmed as per rules, after successfully completion of course credit requirements).
CONFIRMATION OF REGISTRATION
All Ph.D. Admissions are provisional until the “Confirmation of Registration” is completed. This confirmation takes place after six months to a year after admission, and only if academic performance criterion set by the department is met. Some academic units (departments / interdisciplinary groups / centres / schools) prescribe a qualifier examination for the Ph.D. Programme. These must be completed successfully prior to to confirmation of registration. Failure to meet satisfactory performance criterion may lead to termination of studentship. Ref.: Rules & Regulations for Ph.D. Programme, http://www.iitb.ac.in/academichome/rules.jsp
To know moere information about how to apply please visit college website.